Our Environment & Energy policy is divided into objectives, aiming to:
- protect the environment and work with our neighbouring communities
- reduce our greenhouse gas emissions and increase our energy performance
Fully committed to the reduction of the impact of our activities and to the improvement of the quality of water, air and soil, more than 40% of our investments have been devoted to environmental improvement since 2013. In particular, more than 36 million euros were invested in the treatment of effluents, including nearly 7 million euros in 2018 for the treatment of water with CO2 and an additional 6 million euros in 2019-2020 for the implementation of a biological treatment solution in partnership with Veolia.
As a reminder, Alteo definitively stopped all discharge of residues to the sea at the end of 2015.
To do so, we invested more than €20 million in new facilities. The complete re-engineering of the industrial process enabled Alteo:
- to reduce by more than 99.95% our discharge of solid matters into water
- to reduce by more than 99.99% the discharge of metals
In partnership with Air Liquide, our teams developed and implemented a water treatment solution throught the injection of CO2. A worldwide first in our business sector, this innovative technology enables water quality standards to be met (concerning pH and metallic concentrations). Furthermore, this solution is particularly virtuous because it consumes more than 6,000 tonnes of CO2 per year, thus avoiding its discharge to the atmosphere.
In addition, a biological treatment station is under construction which will make it possible to meet the required water quality level without any exemption in 2020.
The management of atmospheric discharges
Our activities are developing but we are limiting dust fly-off through numerous actions implemented over the last few years:
- at the Gardanne plant, a continuous improvement project was implemented; all production and storage facilities are concerned.
- an enhanced anti-dust system on our residue storage site.
Furthermore, our long-term programme to modify all of our combustion equipment (boilers and kilns) has allowed the emissions of NOx to reduce by 66% in 8 years.